Thursday, July 1, 2010

Soaring with Eagles

My dad always says, "It's hard to soar with the eagles in the morning, if you're running with the dogs at night."

Well... I've never been one to enjoy soaring with the eagles in the early hours of the morning anyway. But alas, with a big girl job and everything I have to drag myself out of bed before the sun has even come up! There is something just wrong about having to wake up before the sun. And then to top it off, in order to get any type of exercise into my day, I have to get out of bed in the dark and go exert myself to stay healthy shred the freshman 15 before I am even really awake! Let's just say I have only made it down to the garage- to a treadmill that is at least 12 years old- once since I discovered the treadmill is actually still a functioning piece of equipment and not just taking up space in my parents garage. Let's just say that the little voice in my head that is telling me "just go back to bed, wake up later, you're too tired to be expected to work out" usually wins the battle with my guilty conscience that tells me to get up and stay up.

Now I know what you're thinking, "Well, listen to your dad! Stop 'running with the dogs' at night". HA! there's where you are mistaken. My days of running with those cute furry creatures of the night are behind me. I go to bed early... and I mean EARLY. I feel like I am 85 and graying on top. In college, midnight was an early bedtime for me and I never had a class that started before 9 (11 my senior year). Now those days are but a fond memory stuck in my head screaming at me to return.

This battle with the early morning hours is definitely going to be an ongoing endeavor. Once again I am forced to realize that growing up is hard and there is no easy way out... Isn't it annoying that those irritating little phrases actually turn out to be true?

1 comment: