Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Roomies for Life!

I have some great roommates right now. In the morning when I go downstairs for breakfast, my early rising roommate has already made a pot of coffee and has my section of the paper laying out for me. When I get home from work, they have either made dinner for us (or know what fine dinning establishment we will be visiting). Our house is wonderfully clean and tidy (with exception of my room- which according to one of my roommates will never be clean), and they hardly make any noise. Oh, of course we have our occasional disagreements as any group of people living under one roof would have. However, it is a little harder for me to win any argument. I mean what child can ever win an argument with their parents? Oh yeah, guess I forgot to mention that... my roommates are actually my parents. And in honor of today yesterday being their Wedding Anniversary- I dedicate this post to them!

Like many a college grad today, I moved home after college. No one involved was, shall we say, pleased with this arrangement as we had all firmly decided that I was not going move back under my parents roof. But alas, when it came down to it I was welcomed with open arms... and questions of my plans to scoot right back out. Luckily, I have been enjoying an internship in the big city close to home so I haven't been completely useless.

Living at home has had its share of ups and downs. While I enjoy the company of my parents, the independence that I learned to live with in college was not easily given up. I overheard my mom grumbling that her house was not a dorm room and I shouldn't be leaving my clothes lying around everywhere... I had done my laundry, and folded it, and accidentally forgot to take it off the couch and up to my room- you'd think I'd left dirty clothes laying on the kitchen table! Goodness- at least I did my own wash.

All-in-all its working out to be a pretty good gig... but not one I will be looking at as a permanent solution to my adulthood. Happy Belated Anniversary Mom and Dad!


remember... just keep swimming!

1 comment:

  1. I lived with those roomies before.. I got evicted, something about an age limit? :)

    ReplyDelete